Wednesday, September 30, 2026

"I don't know. My ethics are really messed up right now." To

  (i)Why aren't you guys here?(i) 
  "Come home, we'll go to Church." 
  "Well, that's good and I will, but" 
  "But what?" 
  "God and family first is true, but" 
  The pay phone booth actually rocked as more busloads of people swelled the environment. 
  Another phone picked up on the line.  A younger brother.  "Did you kill anyone yet?" 
  "What?! (i)Nooooooo(i).  But people are getting killed." 
  A quiet like the shadow of a wall blocking the sun on the phone. 
  Hands smushed on glass.  Palms and pointing.  A walking map and more pointing. 
  "I gottah go.  I love you all.  See you soon." 

  "Mine?" 
  "Yours."  A flood of people dressed for every season pushed past a knot of us.  Handed the video camera. 

  "Why's he gloating?" 
  A peek and emotional dig.  He was roostering.  "Not sure." 
  "Hot nuts!" He held out the little paperbag.  "And these," his other hand reached into a breast pocket. 
  "Thickets!" 
  "Do we go to a concert?" 
  "A lecture!" His smile swam from his heart and beamed white, white teeth beneath dark circle eyes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Put the Torso on the Turbo."

  "Worldclass," a Sales Manager was explaining to a prospective client.    "Look at these.  That one's even able to read ...