"Well you're the one who called me, you should know."
"But it's a cell phone."
"It smells like a jungle."
"Are you saying (i)you don't know(i)?"
"I'll call you back."
Guys snoring all over the sofa. Dark kitchen. Sink water. Glass hitting against faucet in a (i)scared ya(i). The voice quiet but loud. "So you're their woman now?!"
"Not sure about that. Or anything really, after last night."
"What happened last night?" Lights flicked on. Barefeet. Smooth broadboard floor. Face being looked at closely. "I, uh, guess, um, it depends on who you ask."
"Well, I'm asking you. And this is Greece by the way. It smells like vegetation and air and Sea, not a jungle."
"Might smell like a jungle to me."
"I didn't ask you that."
Silence. She finished pouring a glass of water. Strong slender hand brushing spilled water into sink. Staring. "Did you want it back in the glass? I know my sons said you're (i)conservative(i)."
"I'm in an apolitical couple days."
"It didn't look like much."
"You saw us?"
"Sitting on the sofa all night."
"But it seemed like we weren't." The smooth back of a hand to a forehead. "Feverish?"
"Not really. We've just done so much traveling together and other stuff and not really, like a break. Like when you swim all day and are still swimming in bed at night."
"Everybody up!" The woman flicked on lights in the sitting room. The guys came to. "I like her," she announced. Yawns. Scratches. "Wild dreams."
"Maybe because we were talking about the leopard."
No comments:
Post a Comment